I’ve never been a big fan of racing games but recently certain titles have surprised me by just how much fun they can be. Mario Kart 8 and Forza Horizon have both grabbed my attention for far longer than I would have expected. What do Mario Kart 8 and Forza Horizon have in common? They both provide a unique twist on the racing genre.
Enter Mantis Burn Racing a game from Voo Foo Studios. Mantis Burn Racing changes things up with a fairly unique perspective for a racing game. The camera is fixed high above the cars in Mantis Burn Racing and it perfectly suits the driving style provided by its tracks. Mantis Burn Racing pits players against one another on dirt tracks. These dirt tracks can become a little dull after a time. They are not as interesting or colour as other titles. Multiplayer is fun, but not as entertaining as other recent racing titles.
Here’s the official description:
The race is on in Mantis Burn Racing, where fast-paced bumper-to-bumper racing combines with intuitive, tactile gameplay and stunning visuals in one of the best-looking and most immersive top-down racers around. Drive incredible built-for-racing vehicles across highly detailed, visually stunning tracks, in high-risk, high-speed races where winning is everything. Prove your skills in an extensive career mode and take on friends with 4-player local split-screen racing and online modes for up to 8 players in ‘one-more-go’ style competitive racing. With a RPG-style upgrade system providing players with deep tactical choices and excellent replay-ability, this is racing at its rawest but most exciting!
- Compelling Career Mode – Test every aspect of your driving ability in a comprehensive 9-season career structure where you choose your progression path on the road to being crowned Mantis Burn Racing Champion.
- Bumper-to-Bumper Racing – Jump the sand dunes of sun-scorched Sand Town, burn rubber on the asphalt city streets of New Shangri-la or race across the treacherous icy snowscapes of Snowbound in high-speed competitive races.
- Incredible Vehicles – Choose from a roster of fully customisable built-for-racing vehicles in 3 distinct categories, each with their own unique handling and performance traits with speedy dune-buggies, versatile road-racers and super-strong 6-wheeler trucks competing side-by-side in the same race.
- Stunning Visuals – Race across 12 stunning reversible tracks located in 3 uniquely challenging environments with incredible photo-realistic visuals for crystal clear high-octane racing.
- Intuitive, exciting gameplay – Enter a world of realistic, but fun, vehicle handling with intuitive and exciting gameplay where the driving experience takes centre stage.
- RPG-Style Upgrade System – Fine tune your vehicle’s handling and performance to your exact preference and playing style via a RPG-style upgrade slot system that offers an almost infinite amount of vehicle variations, creating a unique race experience for every player.
- Challenging Game Modes – Master 10 fun game modes – including knockout, accumulator and time trial – that keep the extensive solo career fresh and exciting.
- Weekly Challenges – Race your way to the top of the Global leader boards in unique challenges each week for the ultimate in bragging rights.
- Intense Multiplayer – 4 player local split-screen racing with extensive online modes for up to 8 players allowing players worldwide to race together seamlessly.
- Original Soundtrack – Race to an original ambient-electro soundtrack written especially for the game.
- High Definition Racing – Full native 4K support on PlayStation Pro at 60fps for crystal-clear high definition racing to truly immerse players in the race.
- Regular Updates – Regular updates including free and paid content packs – ‘Elite Class’ and ‘Battle Cars’ now available.
All of this does make for yet another fantastic racing experience. This has proven to be another racing game that I did not think I would get into that has taken up a lot of my time. The different position of the camera has a wonderful affect on the gameplay. It may not allow you enjoy the visual quality of the cars as much as other games but it does perfectly fit this racing style.